Family UK Trip

We begin our exciting journey tomorrow and the packing process has been intense. Taking the pets to animal hotels and lining up all systems for the visit has been fun.

The trip to London was fine except that I unexpectantly was booked by British Airlines on an earlier flight than the rest of the gang but things worked out fine in the end and after I two-hour drive to the English Coast where we boarded the Celebrity Infinity, we enjoyed a really good dinner.

On Tuesday morning we arrived in France and we took an educational excursion to Normandy and the various battlefield beaches from the Second World War. Upon return from the trip we treated ourselves to fine dining on the ship.



On Wednesday we arrived at St Peter Port on Guernsey, one of the Channel Islands off the coast of France where we took tenders from the ship to the island. Although they have their own government, laws and currency, it is a protectorate of England. At war with France for some 600 years and occupied by the Germans during WW Two, the history of the small island is fascinating.





Thursday we got to sleep in a little as we sailed the English Channel into the Atlantic and then went North to the Southern coast of Ireland to the City of Cork.

The tour of the city and the Blarney Castle was about three hours. We climbed to the top of the castle and kissed the Blarney Rock to make us “eloquent” according to folk lore.




On Friday morning the kids went on a Segway City Tour of Dublin and then we met them for lunch at Odonoghue’s, a famous pub, for Guinness and Irish Stew.

After dealing with our credit cards not working and a quick trip to the bank and then a taxi back to the ship, Sherry and I went on a walking tour of the city concluding in a visit to another famous pub called Davy Byrne’s.

After dinner we enjoyed playing cards back in our room.




Saturday we arrived in Liverpool and the weather was cold and rainy as we walked around the port. I walked up the streets taking photos of the neighborhood around the cathedral.

We then visited some of the museums and returned back to the ship for dinner and then cards.



On Sunday we arrived in Belfast in Northern Ireland and went on a four hour round trip bus tour through the green, lush countryside featuring the northern coast.

Giant’s Causeway and all the area around Ballycastle had spectacular scenery and we very much enjoyed the day.




On Monday we arrived at Glascow and visited the beautuful countryside, sailed on Loch Lomond and visited a sheep farm town where we go to witness the skill of a sheepdog firsthand. It was a long but a fun day finalized by a very nice meal on the ship’s Qsine restaurant. We even played a little blackjack.

Tuesday was a free day sailing around the north of Scotland to Inverness. Te sea was a little rocky as we left the Atlantic and went into the North Sea.

Wednesday we went on an all-day trip around Inverness, Scotland and in addition to the mountains and forests we visited Loch Ness and the Cawdor Castle, which is still in use. The weather was either rainy or sunny and we also went through a hail storm. The weather was probably around 45-55 degrees. Josh and I unsuccessfully tried blackjack again and played cards back in our room.

Thursday was another cruise only day as we headed back to Harwich.

Our private minibus was waiting for us at the dock when we left the boat around 6:45 am Friday (just after midnight back in Dallas) and the 2-3 hour trip to London Heathrow went fine. We had a little “scare” when a jet made a successful emergency landing here but if all goes well we’ll be in Dallas late this afternoon.

See our trip video here.





This entry was posted in Family, Health and Fitness, Traveling and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply